We have a softball fielding drills for you today. This is a good drill for coaches to teach at practice and can be helpful for amateurs and professionals. You will need 4 fielders and somebody to hit ground balls. Make sure to stretch your legs and arms for this drill. This is a drill that you could easily add to every practice and will start to notice major fielding improvements very quickly. This shouldn’t take longer than 10 minutes to go through the entire drill once.
Softball Fielding Drills:
- Start off by hitting a ground ball to the third baseman and they’re going to throw it back to the hitter. Then hit another ground ball to the third baseman and then they will throw it to second base. Then do the same play again but throw it to first. Next you will roll the ball slowly to the third baseman and they will charge the ball and throw it to second baseman, who will throw it to first for the double play. Then after you will repeat this with the other three fielders also.
This drill is mainly focused on outfielders but this would help improve infielders defensive skills also. For this drill you will really want to stretch your legs, arms, and shoulders. You will need someone to hit to you. I would also recommend doing this in the outfield.
After you catch it every time throw it to the cut off player.
- 15 Line drives while running towards the batter
- 15 Line drive while running away from the batter
- 15 Fly balls while running towards the batter
- 15 Fly balls while running away from the batter
- 5 Line drives while running to the right
- 5 Line drives while running to the left
- 5 Fly balls while running to the right
- 5 Fly balls while running to the left
- 20 Line drives to any direction
- 20 Fly balls to any direction
Even though this is a fielding drill this is also a good workout for your legs and your throwing arm. But this drill focuses on your fielding and throwing form and technique.
If you have a first baseman throw it to them after you receive the ball.
- 10 stationary ground balls
- 10 ground balls while running to the right
- 10 ground balls while running to the left
- 10 ground balls while running towards the batter
After you finish I recommend that you repeat the list again but go on the opposite side you were just on.
Get more workouts here